The Hartford Fire Department was organized January 18, 1863 in the blacksmith shop of Chris Coerper, located on the corner on North Main and State streets. It was known as the Hartford Hook and Ladder Number 1.
S.M. Seeley, Foreman, organized the Washington Fire Engine Company on October 18, 1878 to obtain a 4-Wheel pumper.
On February 1, 1932 the Hartford Hook and Ladder Company and the Washington Engine Company consolidated to form one unit known as the Hartford Fire Department.
The Hartford Emergency Squad was started as bicentennial project and had their first call on January 10,1976. In 1976, the first year in service, the squad responded to 202 calls. The City now operates two ambulances and responds to over 800 EMS calls annually.
The Hartford Fire and Rescue Department merged January 1, 2000. They continue a long standing commitment to serving the communities of the City of Hartford and the Townships of Hartford, Erin, and Rubicon.
The Hartford Fire and Rescue Department personnel include over 60 paid-on-call volunteers who respond to over 1,100 emergency calls annually.